USAbomiNATION
The undertones ought to be evident in the title.
It seems kind of sad to be a clichéd critic. We have enough of them. How am I any different? I'm probably not. But at least this will give me a place to sort through my thoughts on the world I live in. If I had a more global perspective I'd probably end up calling this a "It's a HORRIBLE WORLD after all!" or the "CRAPTACULAR SPECTACULAR".
The majority of my time here will be spent pointing out facts about the US that most people don't want to know, don't know, don't want to think about, etc. Here we are in the Disneyland of the world and most of us don't know we have a nation with a culture of rape. 1 in 6 women in the US will or have been the victim of sexual abuse (www.rainn.org).
This is just one example of the mess our country is in. Think about that. Think of six women you know. (Your mother, sisters, cousins, friends, ex-girlfriends, current girlfriend, grandmothers, etc.) Chances are one of them will be sexually abused because of the way we treat women in this country, talk about women, objectify women, sing about women, believe about women.
I promise not to let this simply be a place to throw stones. Lord knows I'm just as screwed up as anything else, America included. But where I feel a certain level of enlightenment, I'll try to give some type of illumination. In fact, if anything, places where I think a solution is possible I'll be attempting some calls to action. Corny? Perhaps. Also the only path to change. Action, that is, not simply calls.
Feel free to throw stones at me. I'll probably admit whatever you accuse me of, plus it'll probably spark a positive discussion. (Better to throw stones at my theories, but I rarely take anything personally. That and the fact that I believe myself to be really screwed up. I don't really respond defensively anymore.)
Final Note: I'm well aware of my own tendency to ramble. Any editor hopefuls out there are welcome to earn my trust and then begin editing for me. I know I need it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment